Shall we be afraid of Terminator or civilization will benefit from technologies? This question remains outstanding for decades but traditionally the interest in it is not that high. And suddenly it hit the top ten news in the most credible media. But what did happen?
Why Musk and Zuckerberg had a fight?
Last week IT-billionaires Mark Zuckerberg and Elon Musk had a fight because of the artificial intelligence. The discussion was so hot that both public persons received unpleasant comments from each other.
Musk: «Zuckerberg’s understanding of the subject is limited».
Zuckeberg: «This is really strange and at some point.. I think, it is very irresponsible.».
No wonder, many people were confused by the public battle of two celebrities, because we all get used to see them on the one side. But how the artificial intelligence could swindle them to opposite sides?
«Irresponsible» Elon Musk is worried for a long time that artificial intelligence will overcome human mind. Musk means after that there will be only two global scenarios. According to them people will become pets of robots or will become victims of machines take over, just like in movies about Terminator.
«Limited» Mark Zuckeberg is optimistic and does not like dystopian scenarios. It is worth to mention how much work Facebook invested in research of artificial intelligence. So it is easy to understand that Zuckerberg is the one who made lot of thoughts about prospects. The skeptics predicting the end of the world don’t find support of Facebook CEO. He is sure that artificial intelligence will save millions of lives at least by decreasing the number of road traffic victims.
In the reality both position are maybe not so far away from each other. At least they are not mutually exclusive.
Zuckerberg who worked a lot with AI can see how technology can improve lives in a short-term perspective. And Musk got used to think globally thinks that in hundreds or thousands years human race can deteriorate or die if we will entrust robots with all complicated procedures.
But let’s agree, technological breakthrough today fully comply with responsible and prudent approach to regulation of future technologies.
According to assumptions of The Guardian the disagreements of two IT-industry leaders go to something deeper than a hypothetical discussion during a briefing and started already in September 2016. At that time the spaceship SpaceX should deliver AMOS-6 satellite to the orbit. The satellite should provide African remote areas with internet access. The satellite launch was part of Facebook project. And Zuckerberg went to Africa with the most brighter expectations.
But the launch did not succeed. The explosion of the Falcon 9 spacecraft destroyed also the satellite. Saddened Zuckerberg confirmed he was deeply disappointed with the fact that the satellite was destroyed and with collapse of the plans related to it.
That means the confrontations regarding artificial intelligence issues could be caused by mutual disappointment. But the question of artificial intelligence by itself is not easy.
How robots should be?
In the 40’s of the 20th Century it was a long time till appearance of artificial intelligent machines but science fiction writer Aizek Azimov already articulated three laws of robots.
- A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
- A robot must obey orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
- A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.
Jeff Raskin, an expert from a legendary Apple team of 70’s applied these laws to computers:
- A computer cannot harm any user data and cannot allow any data to be damaged by his inaction.
- Computer shall not waste your time and make you act beyond essential needs.
The laws of robots are constantly being tested. But without a doubt the whole experience of these reflections will not be forgotten. Especially when the opportune moment of a need in monitoring artificial intelligence will come. Anyway since 2007 South Korea is developing a charter of ethical standards for robots in accordance with state requirements of South Korea, based on these three Azimov’s laws.
So as we see Elon Musk is worried for nothing – humans are thinking about regulating the artificial intelligence.
Who will be replaced by robots
You can find many people in England of the first quarter of XX century who were absolutely sure that machines are a threat for people wellbeing. Do you remember luddite uprisings from history classes? They destroyed machine halls and equipment, because they thought machines are taking away their working places.
Imagine if the King George and all the world governments would stop technological progress due to their compassion to luddites. And we would still drown with carbon, light our houses with candles, wash, nail and saw with hands. It looks a bit ridiculous. But this is exactly the main concern of those opposing progress. “If the machine if stronger, more clever and faster than me, that means there is no need in myself”. And the opponents of artificial intelligence are mainly frightened not by the potential loss of control over robots, but the necessity of competing with them.
Well, some of of the professions required today will be replaced in next 15-20 years by electronic devices. Here are some of these jobs.
- Accountant. Very soon you will use special applications on your computers and smartphones to correspond credit and debit and to calculate your taxes.
- Delivery guy. Amazon company is already using flying drones for goods and industrial freights delivery. And in 15 years that will become a traditional way.
- Travel managers and agents. Did you see in the airport a device for online check-in? Factically based on that principle we will soon purchase tickets, book hotels and plan our vacation.
- Real estate agent. Applications and internet services will with no complications help find real estate based on your requests.
- Tour guide. While travelling to any destination we previously download all interactive cards with a virtual guide function.
- Journalist, copywriter, translator. Google Translate makes it better every year, did you notice that? And the programs translating speech to texts make the work of any author faster and easier. In 20 years programs based on artificial intelligence will create almost all informational content. But the wordsmith who can work with people emotions will stay in the profession.
- Miner. Mining is becoming harder and more dangerous. Very often a miner’s endangerment impede with the further exploitation of the deposits. And in the same time the australian mining company Rio Tinto is using round-a-clock unmanned dump trucks which do not require any break.
Who cannot be replaced by robots
In you found your recent profession in the list above, don’t get upset. You have enough time to improve your qualifications. Just chose what direction to follow or use the following hint.
Several years ago the research company Fast Future came up with a list of professions will be mostly required in 20-30 years. The list was prepared upon request of the Britain government.
The selection is quite bright. You can find there nano-medicians, farmers and especially experts in vertical farming, experts in human memory extension and copying to electronic carriers, architects, designers, weather and climate change operators, creators of virtual education programs, managers and creative personal media stuff, experts in digital and virtual safety, brand creation and promotion consultants.
Creative jobs requiring talent, high qualification and ongoing self-improvement will stay people’ jobs. No one will take off our responsibilities for ourselves, take off the right and need to try and become better versions of ourselves, overcome own stagnancy, laziness, aggression and intolerance, to empathize and to believe in the ideals.
And all the scenarios – positive and negative ones are written by ourselves. We just need to understand what direction is better to take. So that is the reason we are sure that every person needs to understand high technologies and the direction progress is taking.